I love a clean, organized garage.
That being said, I seem to be incapable of keeping it clean. With bikes, cars, tools, storage, shelving and all manner of miscellaneous stuff needing a home, the garage becomes the inevitable repository. The result is that I often close my eyes as I walk from my car to the door – pretending everything is as I like it. But of course, my delusion it doesn’t organize my stuff.
- Where did all this stuff come from?
- I can’t imagine how I’m going to organize this.
I was completely overwhelmed.
It was at that point that my neighbor Lisa stopped over. She immediately assessed my mental state and asked if there was anything she could do to help. Being that she is a home-schooling mother of 8 with an MBA and an impeccably organized house, I jumped at the opportunity to get her opinion on my predicament.
How do I start to organize content?
- Start by doing a complete inventory of your content. (Pull your stuff out of the garage!)
- Where is it? Who uses it? Where is it stored? Which version is the completed version?
- Identify key stakeholders (Ask for some help on how organize your garage.)
- What systems create the content? How is the content used?
- How would they like the content to be accessible?
- What is the business value of the content, and how can that value be maximized by organizing it?
- Pull together a cross functional team to identify a solution (No garage metaphor here!)
- All key stockholder groups should be represented
- Create a unified strategy
- Sell the solution to executive sponsors
- Demonstrate the problem
- Present the value assessment complete with ROI schedule
- Suggest tactical solution
- Create a strategic plan focusing on user adoption
- If users don’t like it, they won’t use it!
I’m not sure there is a sure-fire way of keeping my garage, or any content repository completely free of chaos. but by taking some time to inventory your content, you give your business a much better chance of success.
So pull your junk out and give it a look. You just might find something valuable in there!